My Site
Categories
Exaile 0.3 Roundup for November 5th, 2008

This week we've worked on the following:

• Aren converted the database save from Pickle to Shelve, in an attempt to make better use of memory and to speed up loading and saving. This changed the format of the music.db, so you'll need to remove this and rescan your library if you're following the weekly tarballs. Just rm ~/.local/share/exaile/music.db
  • The addition of the "tagcovers" plugin. This will search for album art embedded in id3 tags of mp3 files.
  • Album compilation support: If there is more than one artist in the same directory with the same album name, it's marked as a compilation. They will show up under "Various Artists" (as well as just under the artist) in the collection panel, and will be treated as one album where the album art manager is concerned.

Have fun!

Filed under: Exaile
Comments:

From Ezekiel000 on Nov. 6 @ 1:42 a.m. 2008

That great that compilation albums are now supported. One thing though I have my library of music organised with ratings and play-counts, please can there be a process either on first run or in the installation script that converts/imports the ratings and play counts into the new database format. Thanks.
From Adam Olsen on Nov. 6 @ 5:15 p.m. 2008

Yeah, that's one of the plans - a full conversion script from the old library to the new library and settings.
From shivan on Nov. 11 @ 6:10 p.m. 2008

shelve? why not sqlite?
(just asking, I'm no expert)
From Adam Olsen on Nov. 11 @ 7:52 p.m. 2008

The 0.2.x series uses sqlite, but it had some concurrency issues that we never did get figured out.

In 0.3 it will be much easier to change backends, so if shelve ends up not working out it won't be a huge deal to switch to something else.

From our tests, shelve and pickle have been just as fast or faster than the sqlite implementation in 0.2 and the code is a fair bit less complicated.
From shivan on Nov. 12 @ 10:23 a.m. 2008

Oh, great then!
From Ezekiel000 on Nov. 15 @ 3:15 p.m. 2008

Is it possible to open the database at the moment and edit it? as I would like to change all my *.ogg files to the now standard *.oga.
From Ezekiel000 on Nov. 16 @ 3:51 a.m. 2008

I used sqlbrowser to edit the database but I did find that the database stores far too much redundant data as it still contains all the information of files that I haven't had on my pc for ages. But when I tried to clean it out Exaile stopped working so it would be great to have a built in database cleaning system.
From Christopher on Nov. 20 @ 4:08 p.m. 2008

I'd quite like to see a switch which "hides" all the compilations in "various artists".

I have quite a lot of compilations, and I have even more artists who only have one track in my database, from the compilation.
It gets a little frustrating to browse my collection for albums when a large chunk of the artists only have one track...
From Adam Olsen on Nov. 20 @ 4:50 p.m. 2008

Yeah, we'll have to reimplement the advanced configuration editor for this, but I agree, it'll be a good option to have.

Add a comment:
captcha

Optional, for comment reply notifications

Note: If you enter your email address, you will be subscribed to this article and will recieve comment updates via email. This is the only thing your address will be used for. A link will be provided at the end of each email that will allow you to unsubscribe should you need to, or you can go to http://synicworld.com//unsubscribe to unsubscribe from any/all updates.