My Site
Categories
Where have all the artists gone?

What do I have to do to find a graphic artist in the OSS community? Where do projects like Gnome, KDE, etc find these people? In the few projects I've worked on, there's been no shortage of people that are willing to submit a few lines of code in a patch, or actually become a developer on the project by submitting more than a few lines, but graphic artists are few and far between. In Exaile's history, there have been 2 or 3 people that have submitted art, but only a few pieces. The rest of the art is derived from these few pieces; put together by other users and contributed as a set. I've looked for artists, and found some, and even offered to pay others, but it's hard to get anyone to follow through.

I wish I had the talent myself, but I've tried, and I just can't work it out.

Why does there seem to be such a lack of this skill in our community? Am I the only one that has this problem? Is because graphic artists actually do choose OS X as their preferred operating system? What gives?

Filed under: Miscellaneous
Comments:

From Ezekiel000 on Nov. 18 @ 4:49 p.m. 2008

What about asking on DeviantArt for artists? (You've probably already tried this but it's my only idea).
From Adam Olsen on Nov. 18 @ 5:46 p.m. 2008

I'll check there, never really thought of that as a place for this type of art
From Dieter_be on Nov. 19 @ 2:48 a.m. 2008

Ask this guy. He makes the artwork for a lot of foss projects. (And he's pretty good :-)

From Adam Olsen on Nov. 20 @ 10:25 a.m. 2008

I'll email him :)
From Christopher on Nov. 20 @ 3:56 p.m. 2008

What kind of art do you need? I don't claim to be very skilled, but I'd be interested in doing some for you.
I think you should be able to see my e-mail address from this comment, if so, drop me a line if you're interested!

Keep up the good code, I love exaile and use it pretty much every day.
From Luca on Nov. 21 @ 5:19 a.m. 2008

WOw torwill is fantastic :)

Add a comment:
captcha

Optional, for comment reply notifications

Note: If you enter your email address, you will be subscribed to this article and will recieve comment updates via email. This is the only thing your address will be used for. A link will be provided at the end of each email that will allow you to unsubscribe should you need to, or you can go to http://synicworld.com//unsubscribe to unsubscribe from any/all updates.